Equality, diversity & inclusion policy
Laing O’Rourke is committed to being an equal opportunities employer: an employer that maintains the highest standard of employment practice and one which aims to employ a workforce that reflects the diverse society in which we live and work.
In February 2015 Laing O’Rourke launched its PeopleFIRST (Fairness, Inclusion, Respect and Sustaining Talent) programme to create a workforce that reflects our society, allowing us to attract, develop and retain our talented employees. We recognise that people perform at their best when they are free to be themselves and when their differences are respected and valued. Through PeopleFIRST we will seek to make our business attractive to people from different backgrounds, promoting a workplace culture that is enlightened, respectful and welcoming to all. We know that businesses with a diverse workforce benefit from a wider pool of talent and a greater variety of experiences and perspectives.
Our Equality, Diversity and Inclusion policy forms part of our global policy framework, underpinned by our Global Code of Conduct.
In order to provide a diverse and inclusive workplace and achieve our objectives, we commit to:
- Act as role models with values and behaviours which foster workforce diversity
- Recognise and reflect diversity and inclusion
- Create a supportive environment where everyone can reach their full potential by ensuring policies and procedures support the attraction, selection, retention and promotion of people from a diverse range of candidates on the basis of skills and merit
- Identify and remove barriers that hinder the achievement of a diverse and talented workforce
- Draw the attention of all those responsible for recruitment, selection, training, grievance or disciplinary or dismissal decisions to this policy
- Provide our people with access to the learning and development opportunities that are appropriate for their role
- Communicate with, consult and educate, all employees in respect of their own responsibilities and the Company’s commitment towards the promotion of equal opportunity and equality for all employees
- Be accountable for our performance by establishing, tracking and reporting against specific and measurable success indicators
- Never encourage or accept any form of unlawful discrimination against our colleagues or any third parties be they potential employees, customers, subcontractors, suppliers or members of the public
- Not tolerate any form of harassment or bullying and treat all colleagues and third parties with respect and dignity
As managers and employees we will recognise and respect the diversity of backgrounds, beliefs and experiences that exist within our workforce and community. By ensuring that our workplace policies and practices value the principles of equal employment opportunity, Laing O’Rourke will remain a great place to work and deliver sustainable value to our clients and stakeholders.